Friday, June 5, 2015

Email To: or not To:

I recently took a refresher course about email and it occurred to me that everyone might not realize what all the address fields are for, what they do, and how you can create a signature that is pre-filled on every email that you compose.  Shown below is an email that I composed to my Aunt Charlotte to explain what this all means.  You will notice I copied my class instructor in the Cc: field so that he will be able to see what I have learned and how I am applying it.  That same reasoning goes to the Bcc: field.  My tutor is listed there, but I didn't want to send the email out with his personal address attached.  


A signature can save you a significant amount of time if you send out a lot of emails.  I never really used a signature until I got my present job.  We have a ton of email communications and are required to have a formatted email signature with our job title, work phone, office location, and the company logo.  I shudder to think about having to type that out for the ton of emails I send on a daily basis. I used Microsoft Office 365 to create the example below because we use Outlook at work and it is so easy to set up.  



I learned 2 new things in the refresher that I was surprised that I didn't already know.  I had no idea that the new Outlook.com webmail service replaced Hotmail. I do use Outlook at work, home, and for school and I did not know I could sync the calendars attached and share them with others.  It is so convenient to be able to share email and calendars across all the platforms I access my email with, as well as the people I share my life with. 

Can I speak just a moment on how I detest the Reply All button?  As I stated previously, one of my primary communications at work is email.  I am a part of a group who has access to a certain database that maybe 1/4 of my workgroup has access to.  This means every time someone needs something from that database I get an email. It is done on a kind of first come, first serve basis, so when someone sends a request 5 people may send the answer.  It's not practical and I don't understand why they don't give everyone access, however that is another story.  Most everyone that sends an answer hits Reply All.  If I get 50 emails a day (and I usually get more) and 5 or more people hit Reply All (and they do) I have to delete tons of useless emails daily.  I often accidentally delete mail I actually need because I have to delete so many that shouldn't have been sent in the first place. Please for the love of everything holy, when it comes to Reply All, please just make it STOP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment